A night at Icchey Gaon
Though you will find many controversies available in many travel blogs that Icche Gaon has become overcrowded and Ramdhura is the better option to stay.
But believe me if you would like to spend a day or two with your loved ones in the lap of mother nature, Icchey Gaon will be the right place for you.
One can easily cover the tourist places like Ramdhura, Sillery Gaon, Pedong, Reshikhola, Aritar, Mankhim, Zuluk which are nearby Icchey Gaon. Even while you are planning your trip to Darjeeling you may include Icchey Gaon for a night stay on the way of returning.
- Distance Chart
- How to reach Icchey Gaon
- Best time to visit Icchey Gaon
- Icchey Gaon Hotel / Homestay
- Things to do at Icchey Gaon
- Places to visit at Icchey Gaon
- Popular foods of Icchey Gaon
- Budget overview
Distance Chart :
- NJP (New Jalpaiguri) railway station to Icchey Gaon distance: 88 KM
- Bagdogra airport to Icchey Gaon distance: 91 KM
- Siliguri to Icchey Gaon distance:83 KM
- Kalimpong to Icchey Gaon distance:18 KM
- Darjeeling to Icchey Gaon distance:66 KM
How to Reach Icchey Gaon
The nearest airport to Icchey Gaon is Bagdogra airport.
To reach Icchey Gaon you have to hire a cab to Icchey Gaon from NJP or Bagdogra.
The fare for a four-seater vehicle from NJP / Bagdogra to Icchey Gaon is around Rs. 3500 for a four-seater and for an eight-seater vehicle, it will be charged around Rs.4500/-.
If you have already booked your stay at Icchey Gaon, the best plan will be to ask the homestay owner to send the car for you, so you will get the best price and reach your destination without any trouble.
Tip for budget travelers :
One has to reach Kalimpong first and then hire a cab to Icchey Gaon. For Kalimpong, you will easily find shared cabs from Pani Tanki More.
You will find shared TATA SUMO to Kalimpong are standing here. They charged Rs.200 per person to Kalimpong.
|Our Car for Kalimpong Sight Seeing and Icchey Gaon|
We have requested our homestay owner to send a car at Kalimpong to pick up us. The name of our driver is Bijoy who is very charming and always helpful in nature. I will drop his number at the end of the blog.
|Thupka & Momo is highly recommended|
|Popular food – Thupka & Momo|
After reaching Kalimpong, we have tested famous thupka and momo from a local shop which is located just beside the Kalimpong Taxi association ticket booking office.
Both the Thupka and the momo tests very good. It was recommended by our driver who dropped us at Kalimpong.
|Some random clicks at Kalimpong|
Our driver Bijoy bhai picked up and before moving towards Icchey Gaon we have explored some of the popular tourist spots of Kalimpong, which I will cover on the Kalimpong Blog.
Best time to visit Ichhey Gaon :
Temperature varies from two-degree Celsius to twenty degrees Celsius.
Icchey Gaon hotels / where to stay at Icchey Gaon:
These homestays are mainly wooden cottages with minimum amenities but you will be overwhelmed by the homely atmosphere and pictorial views of mother nature.
They charged us Rs.1000 per person per day for lodging including breakfast, lunch, evening snacks, and dinner.
The contact no of Mr. D K Khwas is listed in our North Bengal Homestay database.
You will find the details of other homestays at the Icchey gaon in OurNorth Bengal Homestay database.
You must call your homestay owner to send potters to carry your luggage. In our case, our driver Bijay bhai helped us to carry the luggage.
The room and attached washroom were properly maintained and clean enough. The geyser was missing but they provided us two buckets of hot water without any charges.
Things to do at Ichhey Gaon :
In the evening they have served us tea with pakora though we have expected MOMO that was unavailable.
They have served us chapati, veg curry, and chicken curry followed by a salad.
After finishing our dinner we had a small chat with our caretaker about our next day plan. After chatting with each other we went for bed.
We have planned to explore the Icchey forest which was supposed to be a short hike/trekking through the village. As per our plan, we have asked our caretaker for a guide who will help us to explore the forest and other viewpoints.
We woke up a bit early that day around 6:30 AM and get ready for the trip. Tea was served and after having the tea we started with our guide who is an elderly person but his energy was marvelous.
|Our Trekking to Icchey Forest|
Our first destination was Ramitey Viewpoint. We walked through the forest of many known and unknown trees and heard the voice of many unknown birds which was really an amazing experience.
The view from Ramitey Dhara Viewpoint was really exceptional. As per our guide on a clear day, this viewpoint is famous for the Kanchenjunga view. But we did not have that luck due to clouds.
Spending some time and after multiple photo sessions, we moved towards Sillery Gaon.
|At Ramitey View Point|
|At Ramitey View Point|
Sillery Gaon is also a very beautiful mountain village but we spent a short time there and clicks a few snaps.
|Paths to Damsang fort|
Our next destination was Damsang Fort which is also a short trekking route from Sillery Gaon.
After seeing the path that leads to Damsang Fort which is a long hike; we failed to gather courage for climbing such hike as we were already tired, so we started getting back.
Places to visit at Ichhey Gaon :
|Time to goodbye Icchey Gaon|
Mr. D K Khawas arranged our cab. Previously we have decided to go to Pedong taxi stand to avail of a shared car to Reshi Khola but when we arrived at Pedong Stand there was no shared car available at that moment as we were late
so we booked the car to Rishikhola which charged us Rs. 1100.
Later we discovered that the driver has charged us extra as at the time of returning from Rishi Khola we paid RS.600 for the same distance.
I will cover the Reshi Khola journey experience in another blog. But one mandatory tip is that before booking any cab direct to Reshi Khola make sure that the cab has a permit to enter Sikkim else you will have to face trouble.
For those who are willing to return to NJP, could hire a direct cab to NJP or return to NJP via Kalimpong.
Popular foods of Ichhey Gaon
It is a just overview of the budget which excludes other expenses like foods except homestays are offering, cost of liquor and cigarettes, and others.
- NJP to Pani Tanki Taxi Stand: Rs.20×2 =Rs.40
- NJP to Kalimpong via shared TATA SUMO: 150×2 +100 =400
- Kalimpong to Icchey Gaon for a four-seater car: Rs.800
- Icchey Gaon Khawas Home Stay Tariff: Rs.1000x2x2 =4000
- Guide for the trekking: 300
- Return to Kalimpong from Icchey Gaon:800
- Return to NJP from Kalimpong: Rs.150×2=300
- Name of the driver: Bijoy BhaiMobile / Whatsapp number: 7872843373
- You will find the booking details on our Data Base.
Important points to be noted :
- You will find only the basic facilities at Icchey Gaon and places around this. Even we have not found any medical shop here. So, carry all the necessary medicines and your other requirements. I would suggest you should collect your requirements from Kalimpong.
- I admit that the road condition is not in its best shape in these regions, but this applies to only a few kilometers. So, bad road conditions could not be an excuse to stop you from exploring such a beautiful place. We did not find any issue till Ramdhura but after that, the road condition is a bit pathetic. So, even you are a budget traveler, hire an SUV(like a bolero or Tata Sumo) from Kalimpong to have a better journey experience.
- This is a major network connectivity issue in this region. Both Jio and airtel failed to provide connectivity during our stay at Icchey Gaon.